- Sherpa Van runs two daily passenger services: in the mornings between Richmond, Kirkby Stephen, and St Bees and in the afternoon from Robin Hood's Bay to Richmond. these combined with our secure car parking facilities in St Bees, Kirkby, and Richmond make planning your Coast to Coast walk and avoiding the problems involved in recovering your car at the end of your walk much easier. Here are a few ways to plan your trip.
- Car parking costs £4.00 per night and bus journeys are £30.00 pp to St Bees and from Robin Hood's Bay.
Parking in Richmond
Arrive Richmond on day 1 park your car and overnight.
- Day 2 our bus departs Richmond (Old Brewery Guest House) at 07:30 and arrives at St Bees by 10:00, giving you enough time to complete the first day's walk to Cleator or Ennerdale Bridge.
- At the End of your walk in Robin Hood's Bay, our bus leaves from opposite the Victoria Hotel at 16:30 arriving in Richmond at 18:00 when you can retrieve your car and depart or have an overnight stay in Richmond.
Parking in St Bees
- If you can arrive and park up before 10.00 you can begin your walk the same day. If not, overnight in St Bees.
- At the end of your walk you can take the bus from Richmond or any point West of Richmond the next morning.
- If you are going all the way to Robin Hood's Bay you can take our bus at 16:30, arriving in Richmond at 18:00. Overnight there then take the morning bus at 07:30 to arrive in St Bees at 10:00 and retrieve your car.
- This avoids a tortuous journey by rail
via Newcastle and Carlisle that can take more than seven hours.
Parking in Kirkby Stephen
- Arrive day 1 in Kirkby park up and overnight.
- Day 2 our bus departs Kirkby ay 08:00 to reach St Bees by 10:00, giving you enough time to complete the first days walk to Cleator or Ennerdale Bridge.
- At the End of your walk in Robin Hood's Bay, our bus leaves at 16:30 arriving in Richmond at 18:00, when you can have an overnight stay in Richmond.
- The following morning our bus will have you back in Kirkby to retrieve your car at 08:30.
a one way ticket to St Bees to start, and a one way from Scarborough
at the end is a very expensive way to do things because 2 one way
tickets cost almost double a return ticket. We recommend a return
train to Darlington to connect with the 17:30 Sherpa Bus to Richmond.
(free for those staying at the Old Brewery otherwise £7.50 per
person). Overnight in Richmond then Sherpa bus to St Bees the following
morning. Then at the end of the walk
Robin Hood's Bay to Darlington Station at 15:45
via Teeside Airport
details for rail travellers above)
As there are only eight seats pre-booking is essential on 1748 826917 if calling within the UK or +44 1748 826917 from outside the UK - or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org